Sunday, January 29, 2012

Covered in Icing (or why I shouldn't go polish shopping without a chaperone)

Since the polish addiction is always growing, and I've been spending far too much time looking at other nail polish blogs, I've seen so many posts and pictures of Icing polishes that had me lamenting the store availability in my overgrown suburb of a capital city.  And then, it suddenly dawned on me that I thought we did actually have one Icing store hidden away in the corner of a newish strip mall that I don't frequent very often.  A quick visit to the shop locator page, and I was all but squealing with delight.  It was true!  An Icing of my very own!

One evening after work I had some time to kill, so I figured I'd swing by and check it out.  You know, for reconnaissance purposes so I could plan my attack for when my tax return check came in.  And I think that's where I made my first mistake.

About 45 minutes later I was walking out with five new full sized polishes and a mini-quad of their "baby blues".  I got all three of the Charlie Sheen inspired polishes (Tiger's Blood, Rock Star From Mars, and Epic Winning), Witch's Brew, and Written in the Stars.  The quad of minis are not named, which makes me a little sad, because they are so pretty.  I'll have to swatch them out in a later post and see if between the pictures and my words I can do them justice.

There was no doubt in my mind that the first one gracing my nails would be Epic Winning.  Not only is the name fantastic, but so is the polish.  It's a cacophony of royal blue, silver, and holographic glitters in a clear base.  The loveliness of the sparkle and shine is nearly impossible to capture in a picture, so you'll just have to trust me on this one.  It make me want to make rock star hands and  growl "UNICORNS AND GLITTER!" in my best metal goddess voice.  \m/ ^_^ \m/

Of course, in the way of things, I use the glorious glitter polish - and the sun goes into hiding for three days. 

Indoors, fluorescent lighting

The majority of the manicures I've seen that feature Epic Winning used a black or navy base color, which looks yummy, but I wanted to do something a little different.  I chose to use Nicole by OPI's "It's All About the Glam" from their Kardashian collection.  That is a lovely white shimmer on its own, but also a nice base for heavy glitter polishes.  I'm really looking forward to trying Epic Winning over a silver foil base, too.




This picture was taken indoors under incandescent lighting.  You can start to see some of the sparkle, but it's just so hard to capture!  This is one of the gloriously light catching type of polishes that manage to sparkle even at night as you're driving under streetlights. 


The blurrier, the sparklier.  I love how this also shows the glint of the blue glitter, as well.

I did have to apply this rather thickly to get the coverage I wanted, and ended up using three coats of Epic Winning over one coat of It's All About the Glam.  It did apply easily though, and dried quickly even considering my heavy-handed approach.  I think I might have added a fourth coat to get even more oomph out of the glitter, but it was starting to seem a little like overkill at that point. 

I've decided I love Icing and I love Epic Winning.  I can see me dropping a pretty penny in that store, and I'm just glad it's on the other side of the city and I'm not tempted to stop by every week.  Ok, not TOO tempted.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment